Welcome

Welcome to the Balsam Blog, home in the internet world of the Falkland Islands Protected Areas Project.

I'll be using this blog to let people know what I've been up to and to share bits of useful information I pick up along the way. My project is subtitled 'Co-operative management of biological diversity', so that means you. The project will need your knowledge, concerns and hopes for the future to drive it along, so do contribute.

Friday 5 October 2012

More fame for Barnaby Bear!


As a bit of light relief from some of the more heavy duty tasks on my desk, I have been turning the pictures we took of Barnaby Bear on Kidney Island into a story book and accompanying teachers' notes. I am very lucky to have a tame graphic designer living in the same house, who is giving me a very good rate.
 I used to do this sort of thing for a living so it feels reassuringly familiar after exploring some of the wilder reaches of protected areas systems planning. The activities are loosely based on the current Y2  science curriculum, and the text is layered, from about level 2c to about 3a. In non- school -speak, that means it should have something for anyone up the the age of 8 or 9. It should also be suitable for multi- age schools, which are the norm in Camp Education.
The pack is just about ready to see the light of day; it will be printed locally and trialled in support of this year's visit to the island. If we like it, I'll get more copies printed for general use and sale at cost. The rights to Barnaby are owned by the Geographical Association and we are very grateful to them for permission to share Barnaby's travels with a wider audience

No comments:

Post a Comment